Wallkill Covered Bridge
The covered bridge was built on the Howe truss design -
that used both timbers and vertical iron rods for supporting the loads. The
iron rods usually had turnbuckles in them so that the bridge could be
adjusted over time.
The tear down date of the old covered bridge (1915) was after the new concrete bridge was built in 1915
Entrance to the Concrete Covered Bridge in 1920. Note the Lights on the edges
Some time before 1937 the Ulster County highway took over the bridge and condemned it after inspection. The bridge had to be closed and rebuilt and a temporary bridge built using the stone pier of the covered bridge.
The hat factory with the temporary bridge in 1937