School House of Shawangunk
was established early in the town. At first, the schools existed in
connection with the Reformed Churches of Shawangunk and New Hurley. It was
as much the duty of the pastors of theses churches to instruct the young
in rudiments of a worldly education as it was to perform the part of a
Subsequently, schools were organized by the precinct and town and became
part of the municipal enterprise of the time. Unfortunately, all traces of
earliest schools have passed.
The Commissioner's appointment list of 1879 shows that there are thirteen
school districts in the Town of Shawangunk, having an attendance of 996
children between the ages of five and twenty one years of age. The average
attendance was 302.
The Town of Shawangunk fared better than other towns in providing
education for the youth of the area at an early date, due to it being
settled by the Dutch and French Huguenots who believed children should be
educated. Some of the boys were sent to private schools. If parents did
not have financial resources, their children were taught by a person in
the area who had the ability to teach. The local minister was often this
person. During the period 1700 through 1850, the church provided the
education, the laws and spiritual values.
The History of Town of Shawangunk
stated that a school existed near Bruynswick between 1730 and 1740.
By 1875, the Township of Shawangunk was divided into thirteen school
districts. These schools were placed in the district for the convenience
of the families. - Elaine Weed
< Move mouse over locations and click map to show
information about the schools>